Finance & Business
Construction & Engineering
TV & Movies
The First Concrete and Steel Baseball Stadium
Shibe Park of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was the first baseball stadium built of concrete and steel. The park opened on April 12, 1909 with a capacity of 20,000 people (expanded to 33,000 in 1925 when an upper-deck and left field stands were added). It was built in less than a year by William Steele and Sons at a total cost of $457,167.61 (including the land).
The park was named for Ben Shibe, an Athletic Grounds Co. stockholder (The stadium owner) and baseball manufacturer. In 1925 it was renamed Connie Mack Stadium.
The field was used by the American League, Philadelphia Athletics and later, but the National League, Philadelphia Phillies.
The last game was played on October 1, 1970 and the stadium was torn down in June 1976.
Posted: 2003-12-08 2:01:00 PM
This fact has been viewed 8478 times.